Are you a social media influencer that have you been thinking of starting your own blog?
Starting a blog can be super simple and it is a powerful way to get your voice and expertise out there. But when you’re first starting, it can be overwhelming and full of language you might not totally understand.
I know because I was right where you are. At first, starting a blogging seemed like such a huge task that hurt my head, but at the time I had a friend who stepped in my corner to encourage me and help be with the setup. Even though I was intimidated, I wanted to get familliar. And now, I am teaching you how to make it all happen.
I am going to show you just how to start your blog, as well as how to promote it to make it a success.
If you’re serious about starting a blog that is professional and on point, let’s go!
3 Steps To Start Your Blog
Step 1: Register with a web host and your domain name
Firstly, to get your blog up and running, you need a web host! This provides you a place to store all your files and make your blog available to access on the Internet! You can’t do it otherwise and an awesome option for hosting your blog is Bluehost. You also need a catchy domain name which is the URL that your website is found at.
How to sign up for an account with Bluehost:
- Head on over to Bluehost and choose what your plan will be. Remember, you can always upgrade later, so I recommend starting with the beginner one.
- Decide what the domain name is that you want, enter it and click the “next” button. If you already have a domain name, simply just click the “I Have a Domain Name” button!
- Lastly, fill out your form and pick the package you want. Fill out all the details and I suggest that you also opt-in to the Domain Whois Privacy as that will protect your personal information from being public.
Up next: Installing WordPress
Step 2: Install WordPress
WordPress is the platform you will use to be able to work with the visual appearance of your blog, as well as the content including posts and pages. It is the backend and content management system to your website.
How to Set-Up Your WordPress:
- After setting up your account in Bluehost (see Step 1), login to your Bluehost cPanel account, then go through by clicking “hosting” and then the “Wordpress” logo within the Website Builders area.
- Click WordPress to install.
- Select Install.
- Pick your domain name, as well as the “check domain” button.
- From there, you’ll be directed to the terms and conditions. Once you read, check the button indicating you have read them and click “install now” to start the install.
- The installation will not take longer than five minutes and once it is complete, click “view processes” and then “view credentials” which are both at the top of your screen.
- Wahoo! You’re finished! Look how fast that was!
- Accessing the WordPress panel: Simply go to the Admin URL which you find through Bluehost, enter your login information and you’re in!
- Once you’re in the dashboard, I recommend playing around so you can get familliar or using tutorials to understand how to do things.
Step 3: Install Your WordPress Theme
There are a few different options for themes! You can use one of the free premade themes, buy one, hire a web designer or work with me! Want to install your own? Here’s a tutorial!
Where to Find Themes:
- Free Themes: Login to WordPress, click on Appearance> Themes> Install Themes and take a look around.
- Buy a Theme: There are some professionally made, incredible themes at ThemeForest, Elegant Themes, Themefuse or Template Monster. You can also take a look at the WordPress Premium themes!
- To Hire a Designer: Maybe you already know someone, send them an email! You can also use referrals or websites such as ODesk or Elance.
Yay, you did it! You’ve successfully built your blog! Now, it is time to create content, market and make some money!
3 Tips For Effective Blogging
Tip 1: Create Effective Blog Content
You did it!
These tips are especially helpful for people who run their own businesses. Having a blog for your business is a powerful way to set yourself apart and market your services.
Knowing how to create compelling, helpful and shareable blog content is super important. You could write random things here and there, but it often turns out to be a lot of work with very little results.
With blogging, content is hands-down the most important thing. So, how can you create super valuable blog content?
- Find your writing voice. Don’t get all weird, simply just write like how you talk to people. It is natural and a whole lot of easy.
- Give away useful content. Use your story and experiences to create content for your audience that is both helpful and has a unique spin.
- Create titles that hook people in. You want to have titles that will get people to click on the link and read your posts!
- Use images. People love visual content and it helps to create stand-out content. Use images and videos as you see fit.
- Call people to action. At the bottom of your post, provide a call to action for people such as asking them a question, getting them to do something, encouraging them to follow you on social media, etc.
These steps and tips are key to helping you create awesome blog content and through that, you’ll gain fans and readers and grab the attention of your audience.
Other Helpful Articles:
- Getting Started With WordPress (by WordPress official)
- How to write your first post
- Types of Blog Posts You Can Write About
- 10 Top Sources Where You Can Get Ideas for Your Next Blog
Tip 2: How to Market Your Blog
You can have the most incredible content in the world, but if no one knows about your blog, then what’s the point? The more eyes you can get on your content, the more your visibility increases and the more you will be driven to create great content.
So how can you start marketing your blog like a boss?
- Utilize social media. Set up your social media accounts either for the first time or by connecting them with your blogging platform. Examples of accounts include Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube. Show up in Facebook groups or forums to bring your expertise and increase your visibility.
- Engage with people. Read other blogs and comment on them. Add value in whatever it is that you comment.
- Add buttons for social sharing. See plugins such as Simple Share Social or Filament.Io
- Learn to rock SEO. Figure out what you need to do to boost SEO (Search Engine Optimization) to get visitors from search engines like Google or Yahoo. Your site needs to be search friendly, so that you can reach people, you never could on your own! Related article: Beginner’s Tips on Getting Traffic to Your Blog
Want more tips? Go here!
Helpful tool: Google Analytics
Tip 3: Make Money of Your Blog
There can be expenses in this whole world of blogging, so if you want to cover them and simply just earn some extra buck, there are ways you can do that! This article is super helpful on how to make the money practically.
No matter if you’re using blogging to share thoughts, inspiration, idea or options or you want to use it to share your wealth of information and resources to market your business, it will help you electrify your online presence. It will make you stand out.
Websites to Help you Further